Humans may never fully understand the beauty and mystery that is nature. While flowers can be beautiful, they can also be deceiving. Even the prettiest of flowers may be tempting, but watch out, they can harm you, and potentially kill you. There is a long list of potentially harmful flowers, but we have listed a few below to be on the lookout for:

Mountain Laurel: This flower attracts bees, but the honey that is produced from it can cause low blood pressure and death. The best way to enjoy this plant is to leave it alone!

Veratrum: All parts of this plant are poisonous, even the beautiful white flowers. Rapid cardiac failure along with a long list of other symptoms can be followed by death if these flowers are ingested.

Ragwort: This flower has a bitter taste and a very pungent aroma, which makes accidental ingestion by humans rare. This plant is actually more dangerous to livestock than to human beings, but ragwort can bring on fatal respiratory symptoms to people who suffer from allergies.

Cerbera Odollom: This tree is also known as the “suicide tree”. The poison from this plant, an alkaloid toxin related to digoxin, paralyzes the heart.

Calla Lily: Although this flower is not a true lily, like other lilies, it is poisonous. Upon contact, this flower can cause skin irritation and a rash.

Laburnum: The blossoms, as well as the rest of the tree, are poisonous. A large dosage is needed for it to be fatal since the toxic component of Laburnum is not very potent. But, it is still powerful enough to cause gastric distress.

Naked Lady: The pink flowers of this beautiful plant as known as the amaryllis belladonna. They have a lovely smell but contain poisons that cause cardiovascular collapse.

Dead Cherries: The fruit of the cherry is not toxic, but the cherry pits, damaged leaves, and pruned limbs of this tree contain cyanide compounds.

Daphne: This flower is grown for its nice fragrance. But, all parts of this flower are poisonous. Some signs of poisoning include headaches, delirium, and convulsions.

Bloodroot: This flower is also known as “sweet slumber”. It is a member of the poppy family and its toxicity is similar to opium. Poisoning from this plant causes drowsiness leading to coma and death.

Hemlock Water Dropwort: This is one of the most poisonous plants in the wild that is easily mistaken for parsnip, celery, or parsley. However, this entire plant, including the flowers, are poisonous and death from eating any part can occur within hours.

Adenium: This flower is native to Sub-Saharan Africa and is sometimes called the desert rose. In Africa, the sap of the plant has been traditionally used to poison arrows for hunting. Small doses cause nausea and vomiting, but larger doses will result in a fatal heart attack.

Aconitum: This plant is extremely poisonous and can even kill whales! Hunters in the Aleutian Islands coated the heads of their harpoons with an extract to kill whales.

Opium: Only the opium poppy, papaver somniferum, is used for the production of opium. But, all species of the poppy contain chemicals that suppress the nervous system and cause death.

There you have it, a small list of beautiful, yet deadly flowers. You may not come across a large majority of these flowers in your everyday life, but it is still good to know for the future. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Housing Buzz team.